By Jean Davids
Monticello Camera Club
The 10th Annual Monticello Photo Show was held at River City Extreme in Monticello on March 23-24, 2013.
This is the second year that the photo show has been located at, and sponsored by, River City Extreme and put on solely by the Monticello Camera Club.
The camera club wants to thank River City Extreme and all of our great volunteers for making the show possible and another success. We also want to thank all that attended the show and the 404 people who voted for their favorite photos and those who just stopped by to take a look.
The Monticello Camera Club was started in 2004 with the help of the Monticello Arts Council, which had been putting on the show for its first eight years with the camera club’s assistance. It takes a number of club volunteers to set up the displays and do demos as well as doing all the background duties required to put on the show each year. They do a great job of getting the show organized and running it.
It is the public that determines the winners of Best in Show in each of 12 categories by casting their vote. Everyone, from kids to seniors, is welcome to vote. Each year one or two categories are switched out and our club photo show committee, headed by Bob Somerville, selects new ones.
This year 202 photos from 66 photographers were on display. The photo show was open to anyone of any age wishing to enter and is not restricted to Monticello. This year the club had entries from Finland, the Ukraine and Taiwan. Demonstrations by various club members included Home Made Camera (creation/demonstration of homemade cameras) by Larry Wilson, Photoshop Touch-up (retouching portraits using Adobe Photoshop) by Steve Huss, and Photo Book Creation (using Snapfish and Shutterfly) by Val Somerville and Photography Q&A by Troy Olson, an expert in photography and camera gear.
Winners of this year’s photo show in each of 12 categories are listed below and can be viewed on the Monticello Photo Show page of our website at www.monticameraclub.com. Also viewable are winning entries from all previous years of the photo show.
• Action/Motion: John Richardson, Albertville
• Animals/Mammals: Dennis Schmid, Maple Grove
• Animals/Other: Sanford Smith, Big Lake
•Architectural/Structural: Adam Grim, Savage
• Black & White: Sanford Smith, Big Lake
• Botanical: Amanda Gray, St. Joseph
• Creative Techniques: Ken Kvam, Buffalo
• Landscape: Lisa Tetzlaff, Zimmerman
• Macro/Close-up: John Richardson, Albertville
• Natural Landscape: Adam Grim, Savage
• People: Sanford Smith, Big Lake
• Sunrise, Sunset & Night: Joanna Orre, Monticello
Winning photos, as well as selections of photos from each category, are being displayed at the following locations from March 25 to May 4:
• Monticello Public Library, 200 Sixth Street West – 763-295-2322
• First Minnesota Bank Lobby, 106 4th Street East – 763-271-7200
• Premier Banks Lobby, 4134 Deegan Court – 763-271-7670
• Liberty Savings Bank Lobby, 1560 Hart Boulevard – 763-295-4411
• Riverwood Bank, 1421 Seventh Street East – 763-295-2265
• Monticello Dental Center, 20460 Cty. Rd. 11, Big Lake 763-263-7100
For more information about the Monticello Camera Club or the Monticello Photo Show, see our website at www.monticameraclub.com.
You can also email us at [email protected]
Jean Davids is Monticello Camera Club secretary.