School District 882
ORGANIZATIONAL SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 882
The Monticello Board of Education held their regular school board meeting on Tuesday, January 7th, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. in the middle School district board room. Board Members: Jill Bartlett, Jeff Hegle, Jim Lindberg, Carol McNaughton, Robbie Smith, William Spartz and Superintendent Jim Johnson. Also present: District Administrators and community guests.
Location: District Board Room
Date: Tuesday, January 7th, 2014
Time: 5:00 p.m.
School board member Jeff Hegle is absent
1. Call to Order Chair Robbie Smith
2. Oath of Office for New Board Members School Board Chair Robbie Smith read the Oath of Office to the two new school board members; Carol McNaughton and William Spartz. As newly sworn in board members Carol McNaughton and William Spartz read their acceptance of office.
3. The Pledge of Allegiance
4. Approval of the Agenda
Approved by: Jill Bartlett; Seconded by: Jim Lindberg. Approved 5-0
5. Organization of the Board
A. Election of the Chairperson Jill Bartlett Nominated Robbie Smith.
With all board members voting aye: Approved 5-0
B. Matters Dealing with the Organization of the Board
1. The election of the Vice-Chair/Treasurer Robbie Smith nominated Jeff Hegle
2. The election of the Secretary/Clerk Jim Lindberg nominated Jill Bartlett
3. Designation of the official newspaper of District #882 Monticello Times
4. Designation of official district depositories:
PMA Financial Network, Inc
Minnesota Liquid Asset Fund
5. Set monthly per diem rate for Board Members at $266.78/month and set mileage rate to be equal to the IRS/Federally approved rate for miles traveled over 25 miles per event. Currently, there is no additional money paid to those board members who serve as Chairperson, Clerk or Vice-Chair/Treasurer.
6. Establish the official meeting night the third Monday of every month at 5:00 p.m.
7. Motion to participate in Federally funded programs:
8. Motion to enter into contractual agreements with colleges and universities assigning student teachers to our district.
Approved by: Jill Bartlett motioned to approve items 4-9; Seconded by: Jim Lindberg. Approved 5-0
6. Citizens Comments none
7. Consent Agenda
A. Approval of Minutes Special Meeting, December 19, 2013
B. Consideration of Bills, Payroll and Receipts
C. Wire Transfers December, 2013
D. Personnel Matters attached
Total Bills $ 1,203,782.37
Total P Card $ 39,420.34
Total Payroll $ 2,827,260.22
8. Presentation of Donations Jim Johnson, Superintendent
a. $5000.00 donation from NASA to the High School Robotics Program
b. $1500.00 donation from SODEXO to the High School Student Council to support student programs
c. Donation of Professional Books and Materials from an anonymous donor to Monticello High School for continuous growth for staff.
Approved by: William Spartz; Seconded by: Jill Bartlett. Approved 5-0
9. Enrollment Projections for 2014-15 Tina Burkholder, Business Manager presented a presentation on Enrollment Projections for 2014-15. History has shown slow and steady growth over the last five years, although enrollment projections are difficult, her projection is Monticellos enrollment is projected to decrease slightly over the next three to five years.
10. Assistant Superintendent Report Applitrack Joe Dockendorf, Assistant Superintendent gave an overview of a new software system the district will be using for hiring. He described how the program works and how it will be used in our district.
11. Annual Advertising Report Gary Revenig, Activities Director gave a report on the revenue earned so far this year and how the money is being used in the Athletics department. Overall the department has received between $55-$57 thousand dollars from the community.
12. Superintendent Report Jim Johnson, Superintendent reported on the many factors that are in place in the decision making process to close school due to inclement weather. With getting kids to school safely a top priority, many factors go into the decision making process some of the guidelines he uses are; using Weather Service Wind Chill Chart, discussion with other schools, following school board policy criteria, and reminding parents they always do have the choice to keep their children home.
13. Future Meeting Dates
a. Regular School Board Meeting January 21, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
b. Regular School Board Meeting February 18, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
c. Regular School Board Meeting March17, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
d. Special School Board Meeting April 8, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
e. Regular School Board Meeting April 21, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
f. Regular School Board Meeting May 19, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
g. Regular School Board Meeting June 16, 2014 @ 5:00 pm
Board members voted to approve upcoming board meeting dates (items a-g).
Approved by: Jill Bartlett; Seconded by: Carol McNaughton. Approved 5-0
14. Adjourn 6:38. Approved by: Jim Lindberg; Seconded by: Jill Bartlett. Approved 5-0
Jill Bartlett Secretary/Clerk
1/30/14, 3MT, Jan 7 Reg Min, 169551