By Jean Davids
Monticello Camera Club
The 14th Annual Monticello Photo Show was held at River City Extreme in Monticello on March 18-19.
This is the sixth year that the photo show has been located at, and sponsored by, River City Extreme and put on solely by the Monticello Camera Club.
The camera club, formed in 2004, wants to thank River City Extreme for their great facilities and sponsorship, Culvers and Team Chiropractic for hosting advertising signs, and Finders Keepers for their help collecting photo entries again this year.
Photo show Chairperson Bob Somerville of Monticello did another great job of organizing and running the show. We also thank all of our great volunteers for making the show possible and another success.
It is the public that determines the winners of Best in Show in each of 12 categories by casting their votes.
Everyone, from kids to seniors, is welcome to vote. This year we had 267 people come to cast their vote for their favorites.
Every year we hear how much they enjoy seeing all the great photos and picking up photography tips from our members and displays.
This year, 135 photos from 48 photographers were on display.
The photo show was open to anyone of any age wishing to enter and is not restricted to Monticello residents.
There were 35 entries from 10 photographers from Big Lake and 22 entries from 9 photographers from Monticello.
This year Mark Nicholson, of Big Lake, had the distinction of winning in all four categories that he entered.
There were three winning photographers (six photo entries) from Big Lake and one winning photographer/photo entry from Monticello.
A variety of displays were available for viewing around the perimeter of the show, which included three of the winning entries from the second annual Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge kids photo contest.
Information was available regarding their upcoming annual kids photo contest, which is open to kids grades K-12. Visit the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge website at http://www.fws.gov/refuge/sherburne/ for more information regarding their contest.
Winners of this year’s photo show in each of 12 categories are listed below and can be viewed on the Monticello Photo Show page of our website at www.monticameraclub.com.
Also viewable on the website are winning entries from all previous years of the photo show.
Here are this year’s winners:
• Action/Motion: Phil Pippo of Coon Rapids
• Animals/Mammals: Mark Nicholson of Big Lake
• Animals/Other: Sandy Brooks of Forest Lake
• Architectural/Structural: Jerrie Ahrens of Monticello
• Botanical: Lisa Tetzlaff of Zimmerman
• Creative Techniques: Mark Nicholson of Big Lake
• Landscape: Mark Nicholson of Big Lake
• Macro/Close-up: Claire McGillic of Big Lake
• Natural Landscape: Cristine Nicholson of Big Lake
• People: Pat Arnold of Little Falls
• Reflections: Mark Nicholson of Big Lake
• Sunrise/Sunset/Night: Sandy Brooks of Forest Lake
Winning photos, as well as selections of photos from each category, are being displayed at the following locations from March 16 to the first week of May:
• Monticello Public Library, 200 Sixth St. W. – (763) 295-2322
• First Minnesota Bank Lobby, 106 Fourth St. E. – (763) 271-7200
• Premier Bank Lobby, 4134 Deegan Court – (763) 271-7670
• Liberty Savings Bank Lobby, 1560 Hart Boulevard – (763) 295-4411
• Riverwood Bank, 1421 Seventh St. E.- (763) 295-2265
• Monticello Dental Center, 20460 County Road 11, Big Lake (763) 263-7100
For more information about the Monticello Camera Club or the Monticello Photo Show, see our website at www.monticameraclub.com.
You can also email us at [email protected]
Jean Davids is Monticello Camera Club secretary.